Through December 2022, everyone in the U.S. can get a free credit report each week from all three nationwide credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion).
With the amount of identity theft and fraud going on daily, checking your credit report may be useful in preventing yourself from becoming a victim. If you'd like more information, you may find this page from the FTC helpful.
Steps to spot/ stop fraud:
- Order your free credit report
- Call 877-322-8228
- Analyze your report
- Do you recognize the accounts?
- Are there credit applications listed that are not yours?
- Is your personal information correct?
- Dispute ANY mistakes
- Contact credit bureau you got the report and the business.
- Include all supporting documents and details as much as possible.